Diagnostic equipment are useful equipment that are used to detect diseases. The treatment would not have been possible, if there are no equipment for diagnosis. Diagnosis is the first step to interpret the disease. It has reduced the efforts of doctors and made it easy for them to give treatment to the patient.
Many changes have been done in designing of diagnostic equipment from time-to-time to meet the present requirements.
Types of diagnosis
- Diagnosis at hospitals – Treatment is done based on the symptoms of the patient. It may not rely on medical reports. For example, cold, cough, etc.
- Diagnosis conducted in labs – Some diseases need medical reports to treat the patient effectively, the doctor can proceed with the treatment only after checking the reports. Relevant examples are typhoid, ulcers, any blocks in the heart, etc.
- Radiology diagnosis – Medical examination based on studies like X-ray, CT scan, etc.
Importance of diagnostic equipment
A doctor can treat the patient only if he is provided with information on particular health issue. If he is unaware of from what disease a person is suffering, how can he proceed with treatment?
Most of the equipment available today are automatic, there are less chances of errors. It can give fast results in less time. Based on the methodology of diagnosis, diagnostic equipment is available.
Some Examples of diagnostic equipment
- Immuno analyzers – They are used to detect cancers, some infectious diseases, allergy related disease and also drug testing.
- Analyzers used in estimations – Chemistry analyzers are used in testing blood and urine samples in some cases like diabetes (sugar), heart attack, etc.
- Blood analyzers – They are used to check total blood cell count that is, red blood cells and white blood cells in case of anemia, blood group analysis, etc.
- CT (computed tomography) scanners – They use X-rays as source for diagnosis. They help in detecting bone fractures, clots in the blood, some types of cancers, etc.
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) – They use magnetic field unlike CT scanner. Problems that are not detected by CT scanners are detected by MRI. Following are some applications of MRI:
- Head – It detects presence of tumor, any nerve injuries, blood clots, etc.
- hest – It detects both heart and lung associated diseases and abnormalities like heart attack due to valves blockage and also lung cancer.
- Spinal cord – Some people have abnormalities in their spinal cord like deformation of spinal bones, bulging of spinal nerves, etc. They can be detected using MRI.
Diagnostic equipment have find wide applications in clinical field and also research field. These equipment help in diagnosing the disease.