For dealing with the large projects which are complex, Project Management Software helps a lot. Usually, the project management software deals with different types of software which are used for maintaining the project.
Some of the software which are included in the Project Management Software are scheduling, budget management, collaboration software, resource allocation, communication, quality management and documentation.
The project management software performs the following activities:
- Scheduling: Among all the tasks which are performed, one of the main task which is performed is the scheduling. A series of events and tasks are scheduled and depending on the factor that how tools are used, complexity of the schedule may vary.
- Determining the Critical Path: During the managing of the complex schedules of the project, the critical path or the complex events which depend on each other, will determine the length of the whole project. Thus, the effective project management software will find out the critical path and will optimize it.
- Provides information to various people: The software gives information to various people and this information is used for finding out the rate of the effort which is required to complete the project.
Apart from the tasks which are performed by the project management software, there are various approaches through which the project management software can be implemented. Some of the approaches which are used are:
- The project management software can be accessed through intranet or an extranet as a web application by the use of a web browser.
- As a program in the desktop, the project management software can be implemented.
- For small companies and for the few people who are involved in the project, the single user project management software is used. Desktop approach is also an example of single user approach.
- For managing the home projects, the personal project management application is used.
- Many required aspects which are needed for the project will be integrated in the integrated approach.
- For supporting the multiple users at a time for modifying various sections of the project, collaborative approach is the best approach.
Thus, these are the different approaches which are used for the managing the project of the organization.