One of the attractive landscape ideas that has become popular these days is rain garden. A rain garden allows the growth of natural vegetation in a depression that allows to hold rain water run off from the driveways, lawn, or roofs. Rain gardens are beneficial in many ways. Have a look on the advantages of rain gardens.
- Rain water runoff from roofs or lawns or driveways includes pollutant particles including dirt, fertilizers, oil, chemicals, garbage and bacteria. Such water flows through and enters nearby streams and ponds increasing pollution. Rain gardens help in capturing these pollutants.
- As the water pollutants are filtered, rain gardens improve water quality.
- They allow preservation of natural vegetation.
- The rain gardens get drained within 12-48 hours. So, they avoid the breeding of mosquitoes.
- It is aesthetically pleasing to look at the rain gardens. They enhance the sidewalk appeal and also increase garden enjoyment.
- Beneficial and attractive butterflies, birds and insects get attracted to them.
- Rain gardens help in enhancing the value and attractiveness of your home and neighborhood.
- Native plants which do not require fertilizers are preferable for rain gardens. So, they also need less maintenance.
- Even after establishment, it is very easy to maintain rain gardens.
- They avoid unnecessary standing water in the yard and reduce the potential of home flooding.
- They also help in reducing the garden maintenance.
As the rain gardens are associated with these benefits, it is better to create a rain garden in your home. It serves as an elegant landscape area apart from being functional.