As a person gets older and older his/her body and mind changes and it will not work in the same way it used to. But by following a healthy lifestyle, it can be prevented to an extent. When we start aging, there is a decline in our physical and mental functions, by following healthy eating and living habits, elderly people can experience the benefits of healthier and happier lifestyle.
Healthy eating habits for elderly people
- Eating food that is low in salt, sugar and fat: Food that is rich in polyunsaturated fat should be preferred such as fish, seeds, nuts, etc. Processed meat or sausages should be limited. Intake of salt and sugar should be reduced. Avoid fried food, instead eat food that are either baked or grilled.
- Eating fruits, vegetables and whole grain that are rich in fiber: As you become older your digestive system slows down, better to add fiber rich fruits and vegetables to your everyday diet. Whole grains are rich in fiber and can make you feel energetic and help improve your digestive system.
- Eat food that is rich in iron and calcium: Iron is very essential for the body as it provides energy. Include food that is rich in iron. Iron is mainly found in red meat, pulses like beans, lentils and peas. Liver is also rich in iron, however care should be taken as it is also rich in vitamin A and if consumed more it could be harmful.
Elderly people often complain about pain in joints (arthritis), by including food that is rich in calcium can help elderly people fight this problem. Food that are rich in calcium are diary products like milk, cheese, curd, etc. Select diary products that are lower in fat. Green leafy vegetables like cabbage and broccoli are also rich in calcium.
Healthy living habits for elderly people
- Spend time with friends and family members: Spending time with friends and family members keeps you happy. Make a habit of exercising with your friends or neighbor as this can motivate you. Take out time for shopping or having lunch with your friends and family members. These activities will keep you active and healthy.
- Ensure about the place you sleep is comfortable: For a sound sleep choose a place where you are more comfortable and relaxed. The bed you sleep should be comfortable. Your sleep can get disturbed by lights, make a habit of using eye mask that will block the light.
- Sleeping patterns: Make it a habit to sleep early in the night and wake up early in the morning. Have a fixed schedule for sleep and follow it. It will make your day less stressful and nights restful.
- Keep a check for dehydration: There can be a possibility of elderly people getting dehydrated frequently. This can be due to physical changes. So plenty of liquids and fluids should be consumed. Even if you are not thirsty, make a habit of drinking water frequently.